What is SEO and How it Works
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or webpage in organic search engine results, primarily through SEO on-page optimization techniques.
Hence SEO is all about making sure that your website content is ranked high on the SERPs, so that more people will be able to find you.
In simple terms: if someone is searching for your service or product, they will type a keyword into the Google search bar. You want Google to understand that your site offers what they need. It helps attract higher-quality traffic to your site.
How to Improve your SEO:
It is important to provide the search engines with what they need in order to show your content in the best way possible.
Here are three tips:
1) Don’t Overstuff Keywords – keyword stuffing is when the keyword is repeated often on a website. When websites were first built, this was acceptable, but now, you will actually be penalized for it. Types of Keyword Stuffing include:
- Unnecessarily repeating words or phrases
- Inserting keywords in blocks/sections of the site (like the footer)
- Adding words out of context
2) Publish new content frequently – There are two main ways to add new content to your site – either by building new pages or adding blogs. This allows your site to target a wide range of keywords, as well as helps build new links to your website.
3) Use Keywords – This seems obvious, but many websites overlook this to help their SEO. Don’t just use one keyphrase, re-phrase it in many ways. Keywords tell search engines what your website is about, and most often, how users search for information.
Content creators need to be very purposeful with what they publish today. They have to be mindful of the algorithms that Google and other search engines use and create content that is SEO friendly. For more tips about SEO, check out another blog I wrote for the DIY Search Engine Optimizer,